Sumo Logic is a cloud-based log management and analytics service that leverages machine-generated data to deliver real-time IT insights.  Headquartered in Redwood City , California , Sumo Logic was founded in April 2010 by ArcSight veterans Kumar Saurabh and Christian Beedgen, and Accident Partners , DFJ Growth , Greylock Partners , Institutional Venture Partners , Sequoia Capital , Sutter Hill Venturesand angel investor Shlomo Kramer .  While Sumo Logic Remained in stealth fashion for two years, it unveiled icts cloud-based log management platform with Series B funding of $ 15 million in January 2012.  The round of Series E funding annoncé in June 2015 Brings the company’s total venture capital backing to $ 160.5 million.  On June 27 the company closed its Series F round for $ 75 million and is on path to IPO  . As of June 2017, the company has collected VC funding totaling $ 230 million.
Sumo Logic’s architecture features an elastic petabyte scale platform that collects, manages, and analyzes enterprise log data , reducing millions of log lines into operational and security insights in real time .  Their cloud-based approaches overcomes the inherent problems of premises-based solutions , including limits on scalability, inefficient or haphazard analysis, and uncontrolled costs. 
Sumo Logic is a globally distributed data retention architecture that preserves all data for instant analysis, eliminating the need for an enterprise to manage the cost and complexity of archiving data, backups and restoration. 
The service is entirely cloud-based and is maintenance free.  Instead of inelastic security information and event management systems, Sumo Logic employs elastic processing to collect, manage, and analyze log data, regardless of type, volume, or location. 
Sumo Logic modeled its approach to Google , according to Christian Beedgen, the company’s CTO and one of its co-founders . Using advanced machine-learning algorithms to whit down the mountains of log files, Sumo Logic ‘s platform mirrors Google News ‘ s categorization of news stories distributed across the web. In doing so, Sumo Logic is able to ease the process for administrators to synthesize and analyze their data. 
In June 2012, Sumo Logic announced Sumo Logic Free, a freemium full functionality edition of its analytical solution that is deployed on Amazon Web Services ,  and in August 2012, Sumo Logic for VMware , which enables enterprises to search, visualize and analyze all VMware logs in real time. 
Sumo Logic was founded in 2010 by a technical leadership team with expertise in log management , scalable systems , Big data and security , including:
- Kumar Saurabh, Co-Founder & Vice President of Engineering , formerly of ArcSight
- Christian Beedgen, Co-Founder & CTO , formerly of ArcSight
- Bruno Kurtic, Founding Vice President of Product and Strategy , formerly of Sensage
Ramin Sayar, formerly of VMware , is Sumo Logic’s CEO since December 2014.  Previously, Vance Loiselle, formerly of BladeLogic , was CEO between May 2012  and December 2014.
In April 2012, Sumo Logic formed a new advisory board, bringing in three Silicon Valley veterans: DJ Patil of Greylock Partners , Gerhard Eschelbeck of Sophos , and Nir Zuk of Palo Alto Networks . 
Sumo Logic’s service is powered by patent-pending Elastic Log Processing, LogReduce, and Push Analytics technologies. 
Awards and recognition
In January, 2012, RSA named Sumo Logic one of its top 10 finalists for the Most Innovative Company at RSA.  At the April 2012 Under the Radar Conference, Sumo Logic received the Judge’s Choice and the Audience Choice Awards for Performance Monitoring .  In May 2012, Sumo Logic was named a Red Herring Americas 2012 Top 100 Winner. 
In May 7, 2014, Sumo Logic was named a Cool Vendor by Gartner in the Application Performance Monitoring (APM) and IT Operations Analytics (ITOA) categories. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Taft, Darryl (January 31, 2012). “Cloud Analytics Startup Sumo Logic Exits Stealth, Raises $ 15M” . EWeek .
- Jump up^ Nicora, Hope (January 31, 2012). “Sumo Logic Raises $ 15M Series Round B for Next Generation Log Management and Analytics” . Market Wired .
- Jump up^ Haskins, Caitlin (June 1, 2015). “Sumo Logic Secures $ 80 Million Investment to Support Continued Customer Growth and Platform Expansion” . Market Wired .
- Jump up^ Miller, Ron (June 27, 2017). “Sumo Logic lands $ 75 million F Series, on path to IPO” . TechCrunch .
- Jump up^ Rao, Leena (January 31, 2012). “Log Data Management And Analytics Startup Sumo Logic Raises $ 15M From Greylock And Others” . TechCrunch .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Klump, Bill (February 14, 2012). “Disruptor of the Day: Sumo Logic – Harnessing the Power of Big Data for Real-Time IT” . Daily Disruption .
- Jump up^ Mitroff, Sarah (January 31, 2012). “Sumo Logic raises $ 15M, drops its stealthy status” . VentureBeat .
- Jump up^ Kepes, Ben (February 21, 2014). “Sumo Logic Delivers Enterprise Security Analytics Product” . Forbes .
- Jump up^ Kelly, Jeffrey (January 31, 2012). “Sumo Logic Emerges From Stealth To Take On Splunk, Log Data Analytics” . Angle Services .
- Jump up^ Deutscher, Maria (June 26, 2012). “Sumo Logic Goes Freemium with Data Analysis” . Silicon Angle .
- Jump up^ Talbot, Chris (August 24, 2012). “Sumo Logic for VMware Digs Deep into Real-Time Insights” . TalkinCloud .
- Jump up^ Haskins, Caitlin (December 2, 2014). “Sumo Logic Surpasses All Goals and Hires Industry Veteran Ramin Sayar as CEO to Lead Rapid Growth Phase” . Market Wired .
- Jump up^ Hick, Melissa (May 23, 2012). “Sumo Logic Appointed Vance Loiselle as Chief Executive Officer” . Market Wired .
- Jump up^ Nicole, Kristen (April 12, 2012). “Sumo Logic Brings Rock Stars Data to Advisory Board” . Silicon Angle .
- Jump up^ Fearon, Mike (January 5, 2012). “Top 10 Finalists Announced for the Most Innovative Company at RSA® Conference 2012″ Contest ” . Business Wire .
- Jump up^ Ryan, Clare (April 26, 2012). “Announcing the Winners of Under the Radar: Consumerization of It” . Under the Radar .
- Jump up^ “2012 Red Herring North America: Finalists” . Red Herring . 2012.
- Jump up^ Kowall, Jonah (April 30, 2014). “Cool Vendors in Application Performance Monitoring (APM) and IT Operations Analytics (ITOA)” . Gartner Blog .