MarkLogic Corporation is an American software business that develops and provides an enterprise NoSQL database, also named MarkLogic . The company was founded in 2001 and is based in San Carlos , California . MarkLogic is privately held with over 500 employees and has offices throughout the United States , Europe , Asia , and Australia .
MarkLogic has over 550 customers, including Comcast , Deutsche Bank , Erie Insurance Group , Johnson & Johnson , and the US Army .  Also, six of the top ten global banks are MarkLogic customers.
According to Forrester Research , MarkLogic is among the leading marketers in the market and  and regularly appears in the Gartner Leaders Quadrant in the Magic Quadrant for Operational Database Management Systems. 
MarkLogic Was first named Cerisent and Was founded in 2001  by Christopher Lindblad ,  Who Was the Chief Architect of the Ultraseek search engine at Infoseek , and Paul Pedersen , a professor of computer science at Cornell University and UCLA , and Frank R. Caufield,  Founder of Darwin Ventures,  to address shortcomings with existing research and data products. The product is focused on using standard XML document markup and XQuery as the standard query for accessing collections of documents up to hundreds of terabytes in size.
In 2009 IDC mentioned MarkLogic in a report of one of the top Innovative Information Access Companies with under $ 100 million in revenue. 
In May 2012, Gary Bloom joined MarkLogic as Chief Executive Officer.  He held senior positions at Symantec Corporation , Veritas Software , and Oracle , where he was appointed to Larry Ellison.  Also in 2012, MarkLogic was selected by the British Broadcasting Corporation to power its Olympic Data Services of the London Olympics 2012 . 
Since 1 October 2013, MarkLogic has been used to help the US government’s healthcare .gov site, launched to support the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA). The website HAD disorder at launch, and selon the New York Times, the main contractor for ACA Originally OBJECTED to using MarkLogic.  
In February 2015, NBC launched a mobile app for its iconic Saturday Night Live show, and as of September 2015, the app had been used to stream over 100 Million clips. MarkLogic is the database used for storing and searching metadata, and the app has a predictive engine connected to the database that keeps people engaged with the content. 
MarkLogic Receives $ 6 Million in Premiere by Sequoia Capital , followed by a $ 12 million investment in June 2004, by Lehman Brothers Venture Partners .  The company received additional funding from $ 15 million in 2007 from its existing investors Sequoia and Lehman.  The same investors put another $ 12.5 million into the company in 2009. 
On April 12, 2013, MarkLogic received an additional $ 25 million in funding, led by Sequoia Capital and Tenaya Capital .   On May 12, 2015, MarkLogic received an additional $ 102 million in funding, led by Wellington Management Company , with contributions from Arrowpoint Partners and existing backers, Sequoia Capital , Tenaya Capital , and Northgate Capital. This brought the company’s total funding to $ 173 million and gave MarkLogic a pre-money valuation of $ 1 trillion. 
The MarkLogic product is considered a multi-model NoSQL database for its ability to store, manage, and search JSON and XML documents and semantic data ( RDF triples ). According to Computerworld.uk, organizations rely on the flexibility and agility of MarkLogic in order to integrate massive amounts of data and build large scale web applications. 
- 2003-Cherry XQE 1.0
- 2004-Certify XQE 2.0
- 2005-MarkLogic Server 3.0
- 2006-MarkLogic Server 3.1
- 2007-MarkLogic Server 3.2
- 2008-MarkLogic Server 4.0
- 2009-MarkLogic Server 4.1
- 2010-MarkLogic Server 4.2
- 2011-MarkLogic Server 5.0
- 2012-MarkLogic Server 6.0
- 2013-MarkLogic Server 7.0
- 2017-MarkLogic Server 9.0: Data integration across Relational and Non-Relational data.
Licensing and support
MarkLogic is available under various licensing and delivery models derived, namely a free Developer golden year Essential Enterprise license.  Licenses are available from MarkLogic or directly from cloud marketplaces such as Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure .
MarkLogic is a multi-model NoSQL database That HAS Evolved from ict XML database roots to aussi Natively store JSON document and RDF triples , the data model for semantics. In addition to having a flexible data model, MarkLogic uses a distributed, scale-out architecture that can handle hundreds of billions of documents and hundreds of Terabytes of data. Unlike other NoSQL databases, MarkLogic maintains ACID consistency for transactions, and has focused on building enterprise features in every release, including a robust security model compliant of Common Criteria certification , and enterprise-grade high availability and disaster recovery. MarkLogic is designed to run on-premises within Amazon Web Services . 
MarkLogic’s Enterprise NoSQL database platform is widely used in publishing, government, finance and other sectors, with hundreds of large-scale systems in production. 
- Document database
- Graph database
- Multi-model database
- Triple store
- Jump up^ “Customers” . MarkLogic . Retrieved 13 March 2017 .
- Jump up^ Yuhanna, Noel. “The Forrester Wave ™: Big Data NoSQL, Q3 2016″(PDF) . Oracle . Forrester Research . Retrieved 13 March 2017 .
- Jump up^ Davis, Jessica (4 March 2016). “Data Warehouse Disruptions 2016: Gartner Magic Quadrant” . Information Week . Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- Jump up^ “The Company Overview of MarkLogic Corporation” . Bloomberg . Retrieved 13 March 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Christopher Lindblad | Crunchbase Profile” . CrunchBase . Retrieved 27 January 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Frank Caufield” . Retrieved 21 October 2015 .
- Jump up^ Loizos, Connie (18 August 2008). “Like Father Like His? Darwin Ventures Raising $ 100M” . The PEHub Network . Retrieved 13 March2017 .
- Jump up^ “IDC Innovative Information Access Companies Under $ 100M to Watch, Highlighting New Ways to Leverage Information Assets” . businesswire.com . Business Wire Inc. 2009-10-26 . Retrieved 2017-01-31.
- Jump up^ Hoge, Patrick (17 May 2012). “MarkLogic appoints Gary Bloom CEO”. San Francisco Business Times . Retrieved 27 January 2015 .
- Jump up^ Foremski, Tom (17 May 2012). “Senior Oracle exec executive Gary Bloom named CEO of Mark Logic” . ZDnet . Retrieved 27 January 2015 .
- Jump up^ Marshall, Sarah (27 July 2012). “How a software firm is helping BBC and PA with Olympic data” . Journalism.co.uk. Mousetrap Media Ltd . Retrieved 13 March 2017 .
- Jump up^ Lipton, Eric; et al. (23 November 2013). “Tension and Flaws Before Health Website Crash” . Retrieved 28 January 2015 .
- Jump up^ “Tension and Flaws Before Health Website Crash” . 4 April 2014 . Retrieved 23 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ Kaufman, Debra. “SNL Unleashes Power App of Metadata” . Retrieved 23 November 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “MarkLogic: AngelList” . Angel . AngelList . Retrieved 13 March2017 .
- Jump up^ Rao, Leena (2009-05-26). “Mark Logic Raises $ 12.5 Million For XML Server Software” . techcrunch.com . TechCrunch . Retrieved 2017-01-31.
- Jump up^ Novet, Jordan. “MarkLogic nets $ 25M to keep up NoSQL pitch enterprise” . GigaOM . Retrieved 23 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ Joyce, Wells (11 April 2013). “MarkLogic Secures New $ 25 Million Investment and Targets Four Primary Product Areas” . DBTA.com . Retrieved 27 January 2015 .
- Jump up^ Darrow, Barb. “MarkLogic snags $ 102 million in new funding to push its database abroad” . Fortune . Retrieved 23 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ “JPMorgan-consolidates-derivative-trade-systems-with-NoSQL-database”. Retrieved 2015-11-23 .
- Jump up^ “MarkLogic 4.0 Introduces Stable of New Features for the XML Server”. Information Today. October 9, 2008 . Retrieved 27 January 2015 .
- Jump up^ MacFadden, Gary (30 October 2013). “MarkLogic 7 Leads the NoSQL Class, Adding Semantics and Other Enhancements” . Wikibon . Retrieved 27 January 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Nick Heudecker; Merv Adrian (23 August 2013). Who’s Who in NoSQL DBMSs (G00252015 ed.). Gartner.