Kinetica DB, Inc. is a company that has a distributed, in-memory database management system using graphics processing units (GPUs). The software it markets is also called Kinetica. The company has headquarters in Arlington, Virginia and San Francisco .
In 2009, Amit Vij and Nima Neghaban founded GIS Federal, a software developer called GPUdb. The GIS stands for Global Intelligence Solutions. GPUdb was originally marketed for US military and intelligence applications at Fort Belvoir for INSCOM. 
The United States Postal Service deployed GPUdb in to production 2014.  
In 2014 and 2016, the analyst firm International Data Corporation mentioned Kinetica for its production deployments at the US Army and United States Postal Service, respectively. As a result of their work with USPS, IDC announced that Kinetica was the recipient of the HPC Innovation Excellence Award  
On March 3, 2016, the name of the company was changed to GPUdb to match the name of the software, and a $ 7 million investment was announced which included Raymond J. Lane .  In September 2016, it announced another $ 6 million investment, and an office in San Francisco , while keeping its office in Arlington, Virginia . After adding marketing and service people, the name of both company and product was changed to Kinetica.   
In June 2017, the company announced USD $ 50 million in Series A sponsored by Venture Capital and Meritech Capital Partners, along with new investor Citi Ventures and existing backer Ray Lane of GreatPoint Ventures. 
The software is designed to run on graphics processing units such as the Tesla from Nvidia .  Partners include Cisco, Dell EMC, HPE, IBM, NVIDIA, Confluent, and Nimbix. [ quote needed ]
- Jump up^ Dan Olds (November 10, 2016). “Terror plot spy project helps Kinetica crank up database speed” . The Register . Retrieved January 27, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Timothy Prickett Morgan (September 22, 2016). “Scalable Up Scaling Database With GPUs” . The Next Platform . Retrieved January 27, 2017.
- Jump up^ Jim McHugh (June 23, 2016). “Kinetica Helps US Solve Big Data Office Problem, Wins Big HPC Award” . Nvidia blog . Retrieved January 27,2017 .
- Jump up^ “IDC Announces New Winners of HPC Innovation Excellence Awards”. Press release . International Data Corporation . November 18, 2014. Archived from the original on January 15, 2015 . Retrieved January 27,2017 .
- Jump up^ “International Data Corporation (IDC) Lauds Innovations in Supercomputing with Innovation Excellence Awards” . Press release . International Data Corporation . June 21, 2016. Archived from the original on September 19, 2016 . Retrieved January 27, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “D Form: Notice of Sale of Securities” . US Securities and Exchange Commission. April 12, 2016 . Retrieved January 27, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Kinetica Raises $ 6M in Funding” . FinSMEs . September 22, 2016 . Retrieved January 27, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Michele Nemschoff (September 26, 2016). “Kinetica Adds $ 6 Million in Acceleration Funding and Expands Management Team” . Press release . Retrieved January 25, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “D Form: Notice of Sale of Securities” . US Securities and Exchange Commission. October 4, 2016 . Retrieved January 27, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “This Hot Startup Database Just Snagged $ 50 Million in Funding” . fortune.com . 2017-06-29 . Retrieved 2017-08-09 .
- Jump up^ Alex Woodie (2014-10-08). “GPU-Powered Terrorist Hunter Commercial Eyes Big Data Role” . Datanami . Retrieved 2017-08-09 .