Hortonworks is a big data software company based in Santa Clara, California . The company develops and supports Apache Hadoop for distributed data processing across computer clusters .
Hortonworks was formed in June 2011 as an independent company, financed by $ 23 million venture capital from Yahoo! and Benchmark Capital . Its first office was in Sunnyvale, California .  The company employs contributors to the Apache Hadoop open source software project .  The Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP) product includes Apache Hadoop and is used for storing, processing, and analyzing large volumes of data. The platform is designed to deal with data from many sources and formats. Hadoop Distributed File System, MapReduce , Pig, Hive, HBase, ZooKeeper , and additional components. 
Eric Baldeschweiler (from Yahoo) was chief executive, and Rob Bearden chief operating officer, formerly from SpringSource . Benchmark partner Peter Fenton was a board member.The company name refers to the character Horton the Elephant , since the elephant is the symbol for Hadoop.   Additional investors included a $ 25 million round by Index Ventures in November 2011. 
In October 2011 Hortonworks announced Microsoft would collaborate on Hadoop distribution for Microsoft Azure and Windows Server .  On February 25, 2013, Hortonworks announced availability of a beta version of the Hortonworks Data Platform for Windows.  In November 2011 it announced HParser software from Informatica would be available for free download by its customers. 
In February 2012 Teradata announced an alliance.  In October 2012 Teradata’s Aster Data Systems division announced an appliance supporting Hortonworks’ distribution,   and Impetus Technologies announced a partnership. 
In June 2013 Hortonworks announced another $ 50 million in financing, from previous investors and adding Tenaya Capital and Dragoneer Investment Group.  In September 2013 SAP AG announced it would resell the Hortonworks distribution (as well as one from Intel).  By the end of 2013, Bearden, who had become chief executive, 2012, denied rumors the company would soon be public or be acquired. 
In March 2014, another $ 100 million investment was announced, led by BlackRock and capital passport.  In May 2014, Hortonworks acquired XA Secure, a small data security company founded in January 2013, for undisclosed terms.  The company used the Jumpstart Our Business Startups Act to avoid disclosing the United States Securities and Exchange Commission in June 2014.   The filings shown about $ 37 million lost in 2013, and $ 87 million in the first half of 2014.  In December 2014, Hortonworks had their initial public offering , listed on the NASDAQas HDP. Almost $ 100 million was raised. 
In August, 2015, Hortonworks announced it would acquire Onyara, Inc., the creator of Apache NiFi , a top-level open source project. Apache NiFi was made available through the NSA technology transfer program in 2014. Over eight years, Onyara’s engineers were the key contributors to the US government software project that evolved into Apache NiFi.   
When a secondary share has been announced in January 2016, the share price has been dropped from the IPO.  After operating losses deepened through 2015 and 2016, Herb Cunitz (who had been president since 2012) left the company in August 2016.  In 2016, the company was ranked # 42 on the Deloitte Fast 500 North America list.  After a round of layoffs, Raj Verma was the president and chief operating officer from January 2017 to July 2017.  Scott Davidson was named the new chief operating officer of July 2017.
Hortonworks hosts the Hadoop Summit trade show, along with Yahoo !.  Hortonworks is a sponsor of the Apache Software Foundation . 
Hortonworks partners with software-related companies, including BMC Software for Business Service Management and Automation,  Attunity  and Cleo for Data Integration,  and SAP and VMware for Cloud, Database and Other Virtualization Infrastructure, and Stratoscale .  In 2015 Hortonworks started partnering with ManTech Commercial Services and B23 to develop OpenSOC. 
- Jump up^ “Hortonworks: Quick Facts – Hortonworks” . Retrieved 15 July 2017 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Charles Babcock (June 29, 2011). “Hadoop Big Data Startup Spins Out Of Yahoo” . Information Week . Archived from the original on July 4, 2011 . Retrieved February 21, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Sarah McBride and Alistair Bar (April 20, 2012). “Big-data investors look for the next Splunk” . Reuters . Retrieved February 21, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Joab Jackson (November 1, 2011). “HortonWorks Hones at Hadoop Distribution” . PC World . Retrieved October 14, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Cade Metz (June 28, 2011). “Hadoop seeds startup on open source dream: Hortonworks hears a big data revolution” . The Register . Retrieved February 21, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Derrick Harris (August 20, 2013). “Everything you ever wanted to know about Yahoo’s Hadoop spinoff Hortonworks” . Giga Om . Retrieved October 14, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Jaikumar Vijayan (October 12, 2011). “Microsoft climbs onto Hadoop bandwagon” . Computer World . Retrieved October 14, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Herain Oberoi (February 25, 2013). “Hortonworks and Microsoft Bring the Hortonworks Data Platform to Windows” . SQL Server Blog . Retrieved October 5, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Chris Preimesberger (November 2, 2011). “Informatica, Hortonworks Team Up to Release Free Data Parser for Hadoop” . e Week . Retrieved October 14, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Quentin Hardy (February 21, 2012). “Teradata and Hortonworks Join Forces for a Big Data Boost” . Bits blog . The New York Times . Retrieved October 14, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Tony Baer (October 26, 2012). “It’s happening: Hadoop and SQL worlds are converging” . ZDNet . Retrieved October 14, 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Teradata Big Analytics Appliance Enables New Business Insights on All Enterprise Data” . Press release . Teradata Aster. October 17, 2012 . Retrieved October 14, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Pletus (October 2, 2012). “Impetus and Hortonworks Strategic Partnership” . Press release . Retrieved October 14, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Alex Williams (June 25, 2013). “Hortonworks Raises $ 50M For Expansion And Development In Growing Hadoop’s Oriented Data Analytics Market” . Tech Crunch . Retrieved October 14, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Chris Kanaracus (September 11, 2013). “SAP looks to boost ‘big data’ position with Hadoop deals, new apps” . Computer World . Retrieved October 14, 2013 .
SAP agrees to resell Hadoop distributions from Intel and Hortonworks; unveils specialized use case apps
- Jump up^ Gavin Clarke (November 21, 2013). “Rob ‘Flipper’ Bearden plans to FLOAT his Hadoop heffalump: Hortonworks hears an IPO-OOOO” . The Register . Retrieved February 21, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Jordan Novet (March 25, 2014). “Hortonworks loads up $ 100M to keep fighting the Hadoop fight” . Beat Venture . Retrieved February 21, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Jordan Novet (May 15, 2014). “Hortonworks buys XA Secure to make Hadoop even more enterprise-friendly” . Beat Venture . Retrieved February 21, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Deborah Gage (November 10, 2014). “Short of $ 100M Revenue Goal, Hadoop Hortonworks Provider for IPO Files” . The Wall Street Journal . Retrieved February 21, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Answer to Confidential Draft Registration Submitted June 27, 2014″(PDF) . US SEC. July 24, 2014 . Retrieved February 21, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Ben Kepes (November 10, 2014). “Hortonworks Lifts The Lid On Its IPO Plans – Documents Show Little Revenue And Big Losses” . Forbes . Retrieved February 21, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Hortonworks IPO” . NASDAQ . Retrieved February 21, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Miller, Ron; Wilhelm, Alex. “Hortonworks Acquires Onyara, Early Startup With Roots In NSA” . Retrieved 17 February 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Hortonworks to Acquire Onyara to add a focus on small data” . Retrieved February 17, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Hortonworks to Acquire Onyara to Turn Internet of Anything Into Actionable Data Insights – Hortonworks” . Retrieved February 17, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Kaya Yurieff (January 19, 2016). “Hortonworks (HDP) Stock Plunging on Secondary Share Offering” . The Street . Retrieved February 21, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Kat Hall (August 5, 2016). “Hortonworks losses deepen in favor of sales growth: Unprofitable firm still down on market expectations” . The Register . Retrieved February 21, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “2016 Winners by rank” (PDF) . Deloitte . Retrieved 31 October 2017 .
- Jump up^ Alexander J Martin (January 13, 2017). “Hadoop scream Hortonworks Tibco votes veteran for president: Corporate veteran to re-invigorate big-data sales” . The Register . Retrieved February 21, 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Sponsors” . Hadoop Summit 2013 web site . Archived from the original on April 30, 2013 . Retrieved October 14, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Sponsors, Apache Software Foundation
- Jump up^ Yegulalp, Serdar. “Hortonworks, BMC team up to support Hadoop automation” . Retrieved 17 February 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Attunity, Hortonworks Partner to Simplify Big Data Integration – Compliance Week” . Retrieved 17 February 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Secure, reliable Hadoop data transfer with Cleo MFT – Hortonworks” . 1 April 2014 . Retrieved 17 February 2017 .
- Jump up^ Harris, Derrick (12 June 2012). “Hortonworks releases Hadoop distro, teams with VMware” . Retrieved 17 February 2017 .
- Jump up^ William Terdoslavich for InformationWeek. October 1, 2015Aims To Make Hadoop Easier To Use