hack / reduce is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit created to grow a community of big data experts in the Boston area.  It is located in the historic Kendall Boiler and Tank Company building in Kendall Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts .
It was founded by Christopher P. Lynch and Frederic Lalonde in May 2012.  $ 500,000 from local venture capital firms and Samuel Madden .  It has partnerships with MIT , CSAIL , Bentley University . and Harvard .  Sponsors include Microsoft , IBM , GoGrid , Massachusetts Collaborative Technology, Dell , Atlas Venture , Bessemer Venture Partners, Bright Spark Ventures, Google , and others. 
In June 2012, Massachusetts Governor Patrick Deval announced the Massachusetts Big Data Initiative which included corporate, academic, and government programs at $ 50,000 grant and the state’s support for hack / reduce. 
- Jump up^ About Archived2012-11-08 at theWayback Machine.. hack / reduce. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Big data center opening in Cambridge – Business . Boston.com. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- Jump up^ Hack / Reduce to Open Thursday as Lynch Fires Back to Big Data “Knuckleheads”. Xconomy. Retrieved on 2012-11-08.
- Jump up^ ‘Big data’ center hack / reduce getting big buzz – Boston Business Journal. Bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2012-11-08.
- Jump up^ hack / reduce: Boston Steps Up Its Big Data Game. BostInno. Retrieved 2012-11-08.