Databricks is a company founded by the creators of Apache Spark ,  which aims to help customers with cloud-based big data processing using Spark.   Databricks grew out of the AMPLab project at UC Berkeley, which was involved in making Apache Spark , a distributed computing framework built atop Scala . Databricks Develops a web-based platform for working with Spark That Provides automated cluster management and IPython -style notebooks . In addition to building the Databricks platform, the company is co-organizing massive open online coursesabout Spark  Spark – Spark Summit.
The company was founded by:
- Ali Ghodsi, CEO, University of California, Berkeley adjunct professor.
- Andy Konwinski, Berkeley PhD student and Apache Spark committer .
- Scott Shenker , Board Member, University of California, Berkeley Professor and Co-Founder and CEO of Nicira .
- Ion Stoica , Executive Chairman, University of California, Berkeley Professor and co-founder and CTO of Conviva .
- Patrick Wendell, Berkeley PhD student and Apache Spark committer.
- Reynold Xin , a Berkeley PhD student and Apache Spark committer.
- Matei Zaharia , Chief Technologist, who created Apache Spark while a Ph.D. candidate at the University of California, Berkeley, and is currently a professor at Stanford University .  
In September 2013, Databricks announced that it was $ 13.9 million from Andreessen Horowitz and said it would be an alternative to Google’s MapReduce system.   In June 2014, Databricks Raised to $ 33 Million B Series, led by New Enterprise Associates , along with additional investment from the A Investor Series Andreessen Horowitz .    Databricks, founded by the team that created Spark , is closely involved with the development of Apache Spark, an open-source project incubated by the Apache Foundation . In 2016 the company raised $ 60 million, bringing the total funding to over $ 100 million. 
- Jump up^ Dwoskin, Elizabeth (June 9, 2016). “This is where the real action in artificial intelligence takes place” . Washington Post . Retrieved 2016-08-16 .
- ^ Jump up to:a Harris b , Derrick (September 25, 2013). “$ 14M Reasoning Databricks from Andreessen Horowitz, wants to take on MapReduce with Spark” . Retrieved September 28, 2014 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Miller, Ron (June 30, 2014). “Databricks Snags $ 33M In Series B And Debuts Cloud Platform For Processing Big Data” . TechCrunch . Retrieved September 28, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Databricks to run two massive online races on Apache Spark” . Databricks . 2014-12-02 . Retrieved 2016-12-16 .
- Jump up^ Zaharia, Matei. “Matei Zaharia” . Retrieved 2016-08-16 .
- Jump up^ Crunchbase (January 27, 2015). “Databricks – Crunchbase” . Retrieved January 27, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Lorica, Ben (September 25, 2013). “Databricks aims to build next-generation analytics tools for Big Data” . O’Reilly Media . Retrieved September 28, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Harris, Derrick (June 30, 2014). “Databricks aims to build next-generation analytic tools for Big Data.” A new startup will accelerate the maturation of the Berkeley Data Analytics Stack . Retrieved September 28, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Gage, Deborah (June 30, 2014). “Lured By The Promise Of Big Data, Investors Pile $ 33M Into Databricks” . Wall Street Journal . Retrieved September 28, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Committers” . Apache Foundation . Retrieved September 28, 2014 .
- Jump up^ Shieber, Jonathan. “Databricks raises $ 60 million to be big data next big leap forward” . TechCrunch . Retrieved 2016-12-16 .