Computational semiotics is an interdisciplinary field that applies, conducts, and draws on research in logic , mathematics , the theory and practice of computation , formal and natural language studies , the cognitive sciences , and semiotics proper. A common theme of this work is the adoption of a sign-theoretic perspective on issues of artificial intelligence and knowledge representation . Many of its applications lie in the field of human-computer interaction (HCI) and fundamental devices of recognition.
One part of this field, known as algebraic semiotics , combines aspects of algebraic specification and social semiotics, and has been applied to user interface design and the representation of mathematical proofs .
- Andersen, PB (1991). A Theory of Computer Semiotics , Cambridge University Press .
- de Souza, CS, The Semiotic Engineering of Human Computer Interaction , MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 2005.
- Tanaka-Ishii, K. (2010), Semiotics of Programming, Cambridge University Press .
- Hugo, J. (2005), “The Semiotics of Control Room Awareness Situation”, Fourth International Cyberspace Conference on Ergonomics , Virtual Conference, 15 Sep – 15 Oct 2005. Eprint
- Gudwin, R .; Queiroz J. (eds) – Semiotics and Intelligent Systems Development – Idea Publishing Group, Hershey PA, USA (2006), ISBN 1-59904-063-8 (hardcover), 1-59904-064-6 (softcover), 1- 59904-065-4 (e-book), 352 ps. Link to publisher
- Gudwin, R .; Quiroz, J. – Towards an Introduction to Computational Semiotics – Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Conference on Integrated Knowledge Intensive Multi-Agent Systems – KIMAS’05, 18-21 April 2005, Waltham, MA, USA, pp. 393-398. IEEEXplore
- Mili, A., Desharnais, J., Mili, F., with Frappier, M., Computer Program Construction , Oxford University Press, New York, NY, 1994. – Introduction to Tarskian relationship theory and its applications within the relational programming paradigm .
- Rieger, Burghard B .: Computing Granular Word Meanings. A fuzzy linguistic approach to Computational Semiotics , in: Wang, Paul P. (ed.): Computing with Words. [Wiley Series on Intelligent Systems 3], New York (John Wiley & Sons) 2001, pp. 147-208.
- Rieger, Burghard B .: Computing Fuzzy Semantic Granules from Natural Language Texts. A computational semiotics approach to understanding word meanings , in: Hamza, MH (ed.): Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing, Proceedings of the IASTED International Conference, Anaheim / Calgary / Zurich (IASTED / Acta Press) 1999, pp. 475-479.
- Rieger, Burghard B .: A Systems Theoretical View on Computational Semiotics. Modeling text understanding as meaning by SCIPS , in: Proceedings of the Joint IEEE Conference on the Science and Technology of Intelligent Systems (ISIC / CIRA / ISAS-98), Piscataway, NJ (IEEE / Omnipress) 1998, pp. 840-845. IEEEXplore