Apache Mahout is a project of the Apache Software Foundation to Produce free implementations of distributed gold Otherwise scalable machine learning algorithms Focused Primarily in the areas of collaborative filtering , clustering and classification. Many of the implementations use the Apache Hadoop platform.   Mahout also provides Java libraries for common math operations and Java primitive collections. Mahout is a work in progress; the number of implemented algorithms has grown quickly,  but various algorithms are still missing.
While they are used for clustering , clustering and batching, they are implemented on Apache Hadoop using the map / reduce paradigm, it does not restrict to Hadoop-based implementations. Contributions that run on a single node or a non-Hadoop cluster are also welcomed. For example, the ‘Taste’ collaborative-filtering recommender component of Mahout was originally a separate project and can run stand-alone without Hadoop.
Starting with the release 0.10.0, the project shifts its focus to building the backend-independent programming environment, named code “Samsara”.    The environment consists of an algebraic backend-independent optimizer and an algebraic Scala DSL unifying in-memory and distributed algebraic operators. At the time of this writing algebraic platforms supported are Apache Spark and H2O , and Apache Flink . Support for MapReduce algorithms is being phased out. 
- Jump up^ “Apache Mahout: Scalable Machine Learning and Data Mining” . Retrieved 13 June 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Introducing Apache Mahout” . ibm.com . 2011 . Retrieved 13 September 2011 .
- Jump up^ “InfoQ: Apache Mahout: Highly Scalable Machine Learning Algorithms” . infoq.com . 2011 . Retrieved 13 September 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Algorithms – Apache Mahout – Apache Software Foundation” . cwiki.apache.org . 2011 . Retrieved 13 September 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Mahout-Samsara’s In-Core Linear Algebra DSL Reference” .
- Jump up^ “Mahout-Samsara Distributed Linear Algebra DSL Reference” .
- Jump up^ “Mahout 0.10.x: first . www.weatheringthroughtechdays.com . Retrieved 2016-02-29 .
- Jump up^ “MAHOUT-1510 (” Good-bye MapReduce “)” .