An intelligence engine is a type of enterprise information management that combines business rule management , predictive , and prescriptive analytics to form a unified information-access platform that provides real-time intelligence through search technologies , dashboards and / or existing business infrastructure. Intelligence Engines are process and / or business problem specific, resulting in industry and / or function-specific marketing. They can be differentiated from enterprise resource planning (ERP)decision management functionality.
The first intelligence engine application was introduced in 2001 by Sonus Networks, Inc. in their patent US6961334 B1.  Applied to the field of telecommunication systems, the intelligence engine is composed of a layered database, received by a telephony management layer and acted upon by a facility management command & control layer.  This combined standalone business intelligence tools like a data warehouse , reporting and querying software and a decision support system .
The concept was reinforced in 2002 in the patent application US20030236689 A1  which applied to the use of different types of data. 
LogRhythm Inc. advanced the concept in 2010 by adding event managers to the end of the intelligence engine to determine reporting, remediation and other outcomes. 
In 2016, KPMG continues to advance the concept of commercializing intelligence with the introduction of Third Party Intelligence, which is differentiated from its intelligence in the field of embedded intellectual property. to mitigate risk and yield cost savings. 
As a system that combines human intelligence, data inputs, automated decision making and unified information access,
- uniquely structured and unstructured content in a single index 
- provide advanced workflow automation that can trigger multiple business processes 
- project future impact of data  such as supply chain threats 
- recommend best actions  / highlight opportunities for process improvement 
- leverage business intelligence from a variety of experts 
- combines human expertise with the power of technology to deliver actionable intelligence 
- scale data visualization capabilities with the number of users 
- Attivio Active Intelligence Engine® 
- KPMG Spectrum Intelligence Engine (s) 
- Salesforce Service Cloud Intelligence Engine 
- FireEye Threat Intelligence Engine 
- Factiva Intelligence Engine 
- Parasoft Process Intelligence Engine 
- Business Intelligence (BI)
- Business intelligence tools
- Business rule management system
- Enterprise information management
- Predictive analytics
- Prescriptive analytics
- Decision management
- Data science
- Data mining
- ^ Jump up to:a b US patent 6961334 , Kaczmarczyk, Casimer M, “Intelligence engine”, issued 2005-11-01
- ^ Jump up to:a US b application 20030236689 , Casati, Fabio; Sayal, Mehmet & Guadalupe Castellanos, Maria et al., “Analyzing decision points in business processes”, published 2003-12-25
- Jump up^ US application 2012131185 , Petersen, Chris; Villella, Phillip & Aisa, Brad, “Advanced Intelligence Engine”, published 2012-05-24
- ^ Jump up to:a b “KPMG Launches Third Party Intelligence: Intelligence Engine to Anticipate Third-party Disruptions” . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- Jump up^ “Attivio Applies Predictive Analytics to Indexed Data” . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Unveils Salesforce Service Cloud Intelligence Engine-Fueling Smarter Customer Service for the Connected World” (Press release). Salesforce.com . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Inbound Logistics Magazine May 2016” (PDF) . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- Jump up^ “KPMG Spectrum” . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- Jump up^ “CustomerMatrix Unveils First-Ever Cognitive Intelligence Engine for CRM”. Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Process Intelligence Engine (PIE)” . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- Jump up^ “A Big Data User Experience” . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- Jump up^ “Active Intelligence Engine® (AIE®) Case Study: General Electric” (PDF). Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- Jump up^ “KPMG Spectrum: Action through Intelligence” . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- Jump up^ “FIREEYE THREAT INTELLIGENCE ENGINE” . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .
- Jump up^ “Factiva® – The Intelligence Engine” (PDF) . Retrieved 2016-07-22 .